Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Gentleman

There are moments every day that I miss Steve. I don't usually speak them aloud or post them on social media. They don't consume me or dampen my joy (usually) -- they are just a part of life without him.

Sunday morning was a particularly big moment.

Our church hosted the Rev. Zan Holmes Jr. as guest preacher. There's nothing like a Zan Holmes sermon. During the Sunday school hour, both he and the Rev. Bill McElvaney (another living legend) spoke about taking risks in ministry. They each shared stories from their civil rights work in Dallas in the 1950s and '60s.

Cooper wasn't feeling well that morning. He didn't complain much, though, and he listened attentively to both ministers. (Cooper is a longtime student of the civil rights movement, starting with his interest in Rosa Parks around age 4.)

At the end of the Sunday school presentation, Cooper leaned toward me, whispered, "I'm going to go thank them both," then walked across the sanctuary.

He stood in front of these distinguished men, waiting respectfully to get their attention. When they noticed him, both Zan and Bill stood. Cooper looked Bill in the eyes, shook his hand and thanked him for coming to our church and for his work. He did the same with Zan.

Later that afternoon, after Cooper had rested and before his Boy Scout meeting, I sat with him to tell him how proud I am of his character and gentle spirit.

So much like his Daddy, who I miss so much.

Cooper & Katie, on Steve's bench at church, Feb. 24, 2013


No comments: