Sunday, April 21, 2013

41

This week I turned 41. Though 40 is a big milestone, and friends last year made my whole birthday week an extravagant celebration, 41 is even more significant to me.

Our sweet Steve's body gave out a few weeks before he reached 41.

I hope you never catch me complaining about the privilege of celebrating another year.

***

When we were in Austin earlier this year for Cooper to attend Boy Scout merit badge college, Betty, Katie and I explored some fun shops on South Congress.

While I walked across the street to fetch some Hey Cupcake! cupcakes (home of the best carrot cake ever), Katie and Betty returned to one of my favorite shops, Tesoros Trading Co., and apparently chose all kinds of treasures. Jim & Betty gave them to me last Sunday when we celebrated together. And we ate delicious (& beautiful!) cake.


***

The night before my birthday, Katie quizzed me.

"What time do you go to bed?"

11 or 11:30

"When do you wake up?"

6 a.m.

You could see her mind active with plotting.

When I woke at 6 a.m., the kitchen table was set with pretty plates and napkins plus gifts (gifts acquired on multiple shopping trips with our dear friend Liz, who every year makes my birthday as over-the-top as Steve would have done). A "Happy Birthday" banner hung from the mantle.

I went into Katie's room. She was awake, awaiting my arrival and hollered, "Happy birthday!" 

"Katie," I said, "How did you set the table? It was empty when I went to bed!"

"Well, I woke up at 2 a.m., and I thought, 'This is too early,' so I prayed to God that He would wake me up at 5:30 and it worked! He woke me up at 5:38!"



***

After this tragic week -- Boston bombings, explosion in West, Texas -- I am even more thankful for the gifts of friendship, family, extravagant love and undeserved grace. 
At Steve's bench: Tyra, Katie & Cooper, April 21, 2013

No comments: