Thursday, January 21, 2016

There are moments when

There are moments when,
after I've worked 10 hours
and rushed to the vet to pick up
our sweet aging dog
and I'm driving home
with Katie in the backseat
chatting about her day,
and I'm eager to see Cooper,
who still needs to tell me about his,
that my throat tightens
and my eyes water
and I wonder

Did I think that life was tough before Steve was ill?
What would today be like if Steve had lived?
Who is going to take care of me when I'm old and gray?

Then I reach the top of the hill,
Spy glimpses of the setting sun,
Allow silent tears to fall,
Take a breath,
Whisper, "Thank you" for this day,
Reel my worries in,
Turn my attention to
Dinner and dishes,
Homework and laundry,
Goodnight hugs and kisses,
And the joy found in reveling in right now.

No comments: