Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Down to 3 mg

Steve continues his march down off Decadron. Yesterday he dropped from 4 mg daily to 3 mg. For the first time in this round of stepping down, we notice the difference. He is slightly wobbly. His voice is somewhat weaker, with a hint of slurred speech returning. We're not alarmed, though -- it's just part of the balance in his healing process. (I am no expert, but I have become much more aware, with growing appreciation daily, of the importance of balance in just about everything.)




I'm including this fun photo, from March 2007, because:


1. It makes me laugh. We were enjoying our last day of vacation during spring break, playing at the children's museum in Lakeland, Fla. Steve was showing off his juggling skills to me, Cooper and Katie. We loved it!

2. I can't wait to see Steve juggle again.

3. I'm convinced that this was near the beginning of the Damm Spot. About two weeks before this photo was taken, Steve had a high fever followed by sudden onset of Bell's Palsy. The facial paralysis mostly resolved in about a month, and no MRI was ordered, which is normal, standard care. I think that was the signal of trouble in his brain. There's nothing we could have done even if we could have known, but I can't help but think about the timing. (All of Steve's current doctors are aware of the timeline, and they've all expressed interest, but no one has declared a connection.)

1 comment:

Chitnis and Chahal said...

And I can't wait for the day when all the steroids are gone and the handsome young face doing the juggle is back along with the ability to juggle.

I can't comment about the bell's palsy either, could be related but the fact that it resolved without treatment could indicate otherwise. Who knows. I just want this damm thing gone for good, one way or the other.

Tyra, talk about balance in most things in life, I am learning it as well. I have learnt a lot from you guys in recent times and am grateful for that.

Love to all.

Shilpa