Saturday, June 21, 2008

A note of thanks (written by Steve)

Dear friends,

I'll apologize up front: I'm not a writer.

It is hard to believe that six months have passed since my first MRI indicating a one-half inch lesion in my brainstem. Test, hospitalizations, scans, a biopsy and a couple of extra holes in my skull later confirmed the preliminary diagnosis: a rapidly-growing grade four gioblastoma in my pons. Y'all know all that.

Since then it has been quite a journey. How coincidental, then, that on June, 11th, exactly six months after my first MRI, we received the amazing news that my scans indicate that the tumor, the "Damm Spot," is dead! It took (and is still taking) time for all this to sink in. I'm not out of the woods yet, though. While the scans don't show any "hot spots" or tumor activity, back when "Spot" was still viable it was constantly shedding those nasty little cancer cells that are now swimming around my brain. My current chemotherapy and pharmaceutical treatment plan will be targeting these little monsters and hopefully kill them off before they dig in and grow into new tumors. We've been told that it is not a question of if, but when, the tumors come back. We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. If you've read the blog, you know this, too.

I couldn't have possibly imagined the amazing outpouring of love, prayers, support and selflessness that have surrounded our family during this journey. I have felt overwhelmed by it all at times. I only wish that I had some way of letting each of you know how you have helped me and my family through all this craziness. It has been so much easier to remain positive when you are surrounded by the love we as have. We have been and are continue to be truly blessed.

Some of the medications I'm taking, while they help me move around and allow me to function, also thin my skin and cause me to bruise easily. Any cuts I get take a long time to heal. To protect me, Tyra has told me she wants to cover me in bubble wrap. You have been the bubble wrap for my family.

I wish you all peace and love.

Out Damm Spot!

Steve

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

your continual battle.. your continual love and FAITH in our LORD... that's thanks enough for something that is so simple yet so powerful. Our prayers. We love you and your family. We've come to love you all more thru all of this. Love your family and Praise God -- what better life is that!
LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of continued love, prayers and admiration from your brothers and sisters in Christ in OHIO.

Rambling On said...

It's a privilege to pray for you and your family.