Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Get your running shoes on!

Steve is a veteran of the Dallas White Rock Marathon. He won't be in shape to run this year's marathon, but he should be at the finish line to watch a growing team of friends and family members who will be running in his honor.

Liz Smith, one of our unheralded heroes (she's one of a devoted group who washes clothes and dishes, runs errands, drives, cooks meals, watches Katie and Cooper, talks to me whenever I call), has taken on another task for the Damm family. She is the team captain for Steve's team and is leading a group of us in training for the half marathon. (We'll run 13.1 miles that day instead of 26.2.)

She says that if Steve can endure six weeks of radiation therapy and months and months of chemotherapy, surely some of us can run 13.1 miles.

If you're interested in joining us in Dallas on Dec. 14, let Liz know at runforsteve@gmail.com.

You can run the half or the full marathon or even a five-person relay. Liz, also a veteran runner, can send you advice on training if you're new like me. (I've only run a 5K. This is a big leap for me!) She'll coordinate team shirts and other logistics. You can also send her team name suggestions or vote for her suggestion of "The Damm Spot Racers."

I hope to see you in Dallas in mid-December -- either on the course or at the finish line!

1 comment:

Laura said...

I am running the Detroit International half in October, so I will dedicate it to Steve! I don't think I can make the trip to Dallas. :(

Tyra ... Good for you for taking on this challenge. You'll do great. Just don't skip your training, buy good shoes, and stay hydrated!