Thursday, July 31, 2008

Our village

Some weeks we do pretty well on our own. Other weeks we require lots of help from others. This was one of those weeks during which we were dependent on our dear friends and family. A glimpse:

Saturday
Two birthday parties
Uncle Jim grocery shops, plays with the kids and vacuums for us.
Jim and Betty bring dinner.

Sunday
Church
Two birthday parties
Uncle Jim takes Cooper to the city pool.

Monday
Swim lessons
Cooper and Katie play at the Biddulph house.
The kids and I take Steve to the hospital for repeat blood work.
The Jackson family provides dinner.

Tuesday
Swim lessons
Betty takes Steve to the pulmonologist.
Cooper's handwriting OT appointment
Madeline and her dear family babysit Cooper and Katie at their house.
Allison washes, dries and folds a load of laundry.
Church-related meeting

Wednesday
Swim lessons
Katie and I take Steve to the cardiologist for an echocardiogram.
The Starnes family takes Cooper to a water park and lets him spend the night.
The Hammons family provides dinner.

Thursday
Swim lessons
Meghan drives Steve to work.
Cooper and Katie play at the Kniering house.
Leti drives Steve home from work.
Madeline babysits Cooper and Katie at our house.

In the middle of all this, Steve is going to work, I'm working from home (and trying to meet multiple deadlines for multiple bosses) and Margie the dog is injured during an unfortunate grooming incident. And Steve is struggling with headaches and decreasing function on his left side.

When we have weeks like this, I am even more aware of how blessed we are. How blessed we are to be surrounded by so many angels, many of them not listed here, who take care of us and pray for us and send notes out of the blue and anticipate our needs before I even realize what they are.

I realize how blessed we are that our children are learning to adapt to many different caregivers, that they are loved by so many generous families. I love Katie's squeal when she sees that Grandma or Papa or Uncle Jim have parked in front of the house. I love watching Cooper explain the intricacies of his latest Lego creation to one of our many visitors. I wish I had had a camera with me this afternoon so I could show you Katie cuddling with Madeline, our sweet 14-year-old sitter and friend.

We know that there are folks fighting cancer and other diseases without the resources and support we've been blessed with. Steve and I are so thankful.

2 comments:

Natalie Willis said...

People are wonderful aren't they? I wish we were closer and could help in some more tangible way, but know we send prayers and love from FL every single day!
Love,
Natalie
www.believeinmandy.blogspot.com

Wendy S. Harpham, MD said...

The world IS filled with wonderful, generous, loving people (despite the impression left by newspapers and the evening news).

I have a collage of photographs of people who came to my home in 1990-1991 to care for my three children (1, 3, and 5 years old) during my first round of chemotherapy. Now all young adults, my children benefited during those impressionable years from the love and joy shared with so many more people than they would have known had I never been sick.

With hope, Wendy