Saturday, October 5, 2013

Little reminders

Steve was notorious for underestimating time and quantity.

A typical conversation between him and me:

Me: Steve, how many miles away is (fill in the blank)?

Steve: Oh, just a couple!

Me: Does that mean "two" or "a Steve couple"? 

Steve: Definitely more than two.

"A Steve couple" could be five or eight or 15. It was difficult to know.

Our Cooper is the exact same way.

A typical conversation between him and me:

Me: Cooper, how many minutes until you finish (fill in the blank) homework?

Cooper: Oh, just five!

Me: OK. (Though I have learned this almost always means 10 or 15 or 20.)

I admit that with Steve, the squishy definition was at times irritating. With Cooper, I'm much more patient.

***

Katie took an abbreviated Myers-Briggs test in a class at school. (Tests for children don't include all four characteristics. It takes some time -- past the age of 12 -- for Sensing vs. Intuition to be clear.)

Her results: EFJ -- Extraverted Feeling Judging

Steve's results: ESFP -- Extraverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving

My results: INTJ -- Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

There's no doubt that she and Steve share some "E-ness" and "F-ness."


***

Katie is student of the week in her third-grade class next week. The poster includes a section for "Most Inspiring Person." She wrote about Steve:

It has to be my dad. He inspired me to draw. He was brave when he was sick. I love that my dad was so confident.

I love it, too. And I love that Cooper and Katie share his courage and confidence.

1 comment:

Amy L said...

Congrats to Katie on Student of the Week! My 3rd grader, Michelle, also had that honor this week :) I think Michelle would probably get the same Myers-Briggs traits as Katie, and I am much like you, although I'm not sure if I've ever officially taken it.
Hugs,
Amy