Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Missing

Tonight I attended the first in a series of grief workshops at church. We've hired a trained grief expert to lead a six-week class for folks who have suffered a loss.

I learned a lot during the 90 minutes. What struck me most was this visual that Marilyn, our leader, provided.
Imagine that the circle on the left represents the person who's still alive. The circle on the right represents the person who has died. The gray area, the overlap, is what those two people shared.
When the person on the right is gone, the person on the left has a gaping, jagged hole.

It's an analogy that makes great sense to me. But during the class, I drew a different version.

Steve and I shared so much -- interests, values, ideas, experiences, dreams, love for each other, our children and others. The overlap is giant.And, of course, that means the hole is giant, too.

This illustration helps me put into perspective my great sense of loss and offers another example of why this grieving process is lengthy and painful.

I am thankful for so many kind souls who understand that this is a journey, that I'm not going to wake up one day soon and say, "OK! Everything is back to normal!"

The illustration is also a welcome reminder that Steve's circle overlapped with hundreds of other circles. There are lots of circles out there with gaping Steve holes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A beautiful post. Prayers that God fills your gaping hole in His perfect time...which will then be your perfect time.

God Bless!

Anonymous said...

Tyra,

Your story is very inspiring. You show how people should live – with kindness, compassion and love in their hearts. You are not just putting nice words down on paper or giving a great speech; you are living the words that you write.

You were a supportive caregiver to your sweet husband and best friend. You did not pass his care off to someone else and show up when you thought it would “look good.” You did the best you possibly could have done for Steve and your actions helped make him a survivor for many months. You should be proud of all that you have done and continue to do. I know that your healing process will be comforted with the love that surrounds you and your family always.

You, too, are a survivor.

Sincerely,
Carolyn Becka

Marci said...

Tyra,

Thank you for your sweet comment on my blog today. I literally burst into tears when I saw it because with all the pain you are going through, you took the time to speak an encouragement to me. That is a hallmark of the special person that you are. I can't tell you what that meant to me.

And I had been meaning to comment on this post. When I read it the other day it gave a nice visual of what I've been feeling myself. Thanks.

We may be down at the Marathon and if we are, we'll definitely park ourselves in Mile 1-6 to cheer for you---best of luck in completing your leg of the relay!

Thanks again,
Marci