Monday, January 4, 2010

In case of emergency

Do you remember the Friends episode from 1995 in which Rachel goes to the emergency room? I think that George Clooney is one of the doctors. Anyway, Rachel lists Monica as her "in case of emergency" contact.

It's a sweet moment in the show. The characters are 20-somethings living in New York City, forming their own family away from their childhood homes. Monica is touched that Rachel considers her close enough to be listed on a medical form.

I remember watching that episode for the first time. Steve and I were newly married. I was not yet 23. Steve was 26. We were our own little family away from our childhood homes. And I remember thinking, "I love having Steve has my 'in case of emergency' contact."

I really dislike having to remove Steve as my contact.

Just before Christmas, I re-enrolled Cooper and Katie in soccer for the spring. The forms are online and retain information from the previous season.

My heart sank when I realized that I would have to delete Steve from the "father" line and delete his cell phone number, too.

Tomorrow I have an optometry appointment. I haven't been since 2003 -- really awful, I know -- and I would put it off even longer except my vision is starting to suffer. I dread updating the forms in the office.

I have a great lineup of local contacts I can include -- Melane or Betty or Liz or Julie or Zena or Holly or Sharon or Jackie or Allison or Kris or Will. I know that any one of them -- and many others -- would drop everything and help in case of an emergency. I just wish I still could include Steve.

"Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."
(Matthew 5:4)

No comments: