Monday, July 12, 2010

Music

For Father's Day this year I pulled together two CDs of happy Steve music for our drive from Santa Fe to Rainbow Trout Ranch in Colorado.

Steve wasn't easily defined by his musical tastes -- except that he liked so many genres.

Because I didn't know Steve in high school and college, I relied on a few of his friends to fill me in on favorites that I may have missed. I thought about the songs he chose to run to, the songs he sang around the house, the songs that made him close his eyes and sigh and those that made him dance. (If you have any to add, please let me know!)

I also chose songs with somewhat appropriate lyrics, knowing that we'd listen to them in the car over and over.

Cooper and Katie love to listen to the compilations, though they have divergent tastes. Cooper wants to listen to "Rhapsody in Blue" multiple times a day. Katie sings and bops along to M.I.A.'s "Bucky Done Gun."

Steve, I know, is proud of them both.

The list:
Steppin' Out (Joe Jackson)
Cowboy Take Me Away (Dixie Chicks)
Bucky Done Gun (M.I.A.)
Sharp Dressed Man (ZZ Top)
Don't Panic (Coldplay)
Beautiful Day (U2)
Rhapsody in Blue (George Gershwin)
Been Caught Stealing (Jane's Addiction)
The New Style (Beastie Boys)
Friday I'm in Love (The Cure)
Fanfare for the Common Man (Aaron Copland)
Girl with a Problem (The Northern Pikes)
Cheap Sunglasses (ZZ Top)
Car Wheels on a Gravel Road (Lucinda Williams)
Singing in My Sleep (Semisonic)
University of Michigan Fight Song
The Intermission Song (from Philadelphia Chickens)
Englishman in New York (Sting)
Arthur's Theme (Christopher Cross)
The Picture Show (from Parade)
I Got the Sun in the Morning (from Annie Get Your Gun)
Hakuna Matata (from The Lion King)
Just Can't Get Enough (Depeche Mode)
Soul Man (The Blues Brothers)

No comments: