Friday, May 1, 2009

Continuing to wait

I spent a lot of time on the phone and on hold today, trying to get the admissions process moving. I was patient but firm. I used phrases such as, "Before we begin, I should let you know I'm very frustrated," and "What other recourse do we have?" and "We are concerned about safety at home."

I had no luck. Neither did the case manager at Zale.

(I did learn that UHC has a Rapid Response Team, which I'm going to ask for every time now, and that you apparently have to ask three times for a better answer before a representative will give you one. When it was clear that I wasn't going to hang up, the customer service representative was more responsive, though certainly not helpful.)

I think we have two options:
  • Continue to wait for UHC to approve admission to rehab, which wouldn't happen until Monday at the earliest
  • Push for admission to a regular hospital floor and then transition Steve to rehab, which could happen this weekend if Dr. M agrees
There are problems with both. In the light of the new day tomorrow, we'll work on an answer.

I regret that with the physically and emotionally wearing week we've had, I've decided to back out of running the 5-mile race at White Rock with friends Saturday morning in honor of Steve. We can't wait to see photos of the Run for Steve team and hear about the great show of support for super Steve!

1 comment:

David Ingram said...

We continue to lift you all up in prayer - praying this week for strength, wisdom, peace - and always for healing. God bless you all.