Wednesday, September 23, 2009

The light

Last Wednesday I put on hold three plane tickets for a little getaway for Cooper, Katie and me. I needed to purchase the tickets by midnight Thursday.

I remembered the deadline all day Wednesday and Thursday.

About 11 p.m. Thursday, I was ready to go to sleep. I tried to turn off the one remaining lamp in the bedroom.

I turned the switch. The light was still on. I tried again. The light was still on. I did this about 10 times with no change.

Then I thought that maybe I had forgotten which way to turn the switch, so I went in the opposite direction.

Still the light was on.

So I unscrewed the light bulb and fell asleep.

I woke up at 6 a.m. Friday with a start. I forgot to purchase the plane tickets. I hurried to check the flights -- the price had increased by more than $100 per ticket overnight.

(No worries. I checked another airline and was able to buy tickets for the original price.)

After all that activity, I realized that that malfunctioning lamp was no accident. I'm pretty certain that Steve was somehow trying to communicate with me to stay awake a little longer and purchase the tickets before the deadline.

I've also realized that I need to be more open to other special Steve moments.

The lamp has worked correctly ever since that night.

10 comments:

Chitnis and Chahal said...

I certainly believe that true love goes beyond life and death. Its an amazing story and experience. Glad you got the tickets at the same price. Steve will always look out for you, KT and Cooper. Take care!

Weintribe said...

This is so lovely.

Anonymous said...

Chills!! It gives me chills!!!

Lynn Dickerson said...

Tyra
We lost our 18 year old son 25 months ago in a sudden drowning accident while he was lifeguarding at a summer camp in Texas. (we are native Texans but now live in California). Before losing Ryan, I would have thought "signs" like you describe with the light were just weird things but no more. There have been many, many signs from our sweet boy since he crossed over. You are wise to be aware and open to other "Steve moments".
I am so sorry for your loss. I have followed your story since a mutual friend directed me to your website.
Blessings to you and your children and you travel this hard journey.

andrea said...

A friend's Dad was a fireman who died in the NYC Trade Center 9/11. His daughter sought out a psychic's help after 2 years. in that two years' time there were countless lighting incidents that occurred in her life. W/o telling the psychic anything(not even that she was a daughter of a 9-11 victim) the psychic brought that fact up and told her that her father was coming thru to her in electricity. She went on to say many deceased people show their loved one's signs thru electricity. Sounds like you experienced just that. How wonderful!

Anonymous said...

The Morning News ran a wonderful feature a few years ago about "pennies from heaven" -- little signs of departed loved ones that were found just when they were most needed. The discoveries seemed serendipitous and yet anything but. That story, and yours, reinforced my belief that there's only a thin veil between this life and the next.

Cathy, Amy and Kristina said...

Goosebumps!

Jenny said...

Amazing. Love it.

I'm so glad you and the kids are getting away. Ten days after we lost Allie, Andrew and I went on a trip on a cruise. No one knew our situation or that we were grieving. We were able to be just the two of us and have the time we needed to be together. I hope that it is good for you and the family as it was for mine.

Anonymous said...

Amazing Tyra! It reminded me of the time, about 25 years ago, when I first heard anything like this.

A former co-worker's told me about a message from her mother, who had passed away suddenly when my friend was 12. One day a few years later she came home and heard her mom's sewing machine running. She was convinced it was her mom's way of saying hello to her. She said it gave her a peace and comfort that stayed with her always.

So glad you got that from Steve.

Mary S.

Anonymous said...

Please don't think I'm a nut, but it is very common for loved ones who have passed on through electricity. My mother passed away two years ago and for about three weeks following her death, the TV would turn on and off at random times. I had one friend say to me,"So, has your mom visited yet?"
(She had lost her mother a few years earlier) I hesitated to answer her so she said, "have you had any lights turning on and off, any strange electrical things in the house?" I just stood there with my jaw on the groud. Every once in a while, I can feel her with my, but it was much more prominent in the beginning. I think they know what we need and when we need it.

Keep your chin up, Tyra, you are all in our prayers. xoxo