Dr. C, the lead neurologist, stopped by and told us we'd leave tomorrow, not today. Pulmonology has still not consulted, and she wanted to give them a chance to review the CT scan before he leaves. Clinically, though, she agreed there's no reason for him to stay. And if pulmonology wants to run more tests or procedures, they probably wouldn't do so until after Christmas on an outpatient basis. After more discussion, she decided Steve could leave today. I think she realized the emotional benefit of Steve being home.
While she was here, she reviewed the MR images from last night/this morning. Last night's RN wheeled him out about 10 p.m. last night for a brain and spine MRI, and he returned about 12:20 a.m. Dr. C found nothing obviously wrong on the spine MRI and no change in the lesion on the brain MRI. Neuroradiology will formally review the films.
Next steps as far as we know:
1. We wait for the discharge process to finish and we move out of 530.
2. We head home and watch closely for changes in symptoms or new symptoms.
3. We wait to hear if pulmonology wants Steve to return later this week for tests or procedures related to the opacity on his CT scan.
4. We wait to hear results from the studies of his spinal fluid.
5. We head back in a couple of weeks for another MRI.
6. We see Dr. M (the neurosurgeon) for a follow-up appointment in mid-January.
That's a lot of waiting! But they did prepare us for the fact that we would be leaving without answers.
We have been so thankful for the excellent care provided here on the fifth floor. Steve never failed to praise the nurses, techs, housekeepers, nutrition staff and doctors for their help. He was particularly effusive during the first 48 hours of steroid treatment. Sometimes people get mean or grouchy while on medication; Steve just gets nicer.