Saturday, November 5, 2011

43 acts of kindness (part 10)

We cleaned out closets for unused blankets and jackets. We came up with two large boxes filled to the top. I dropped them off at Frisco Square for projectwarm.us. to help the homeless. 


***


We left a restaurant gift card in our mailbox for our postal worker this morning with a note thanking him for his hard work and to enjoy a meal on us.  


***



This is the most fun I’ve had in a long while (not counting the time I spend with Bug of course)…

This gentleman was behind us in line at CVS…so we bought his goodies for him and explained why. He was, as he put it, blown away!

He kept saying, “Is this really happening?” and “Do people like you really exist?” I assured him is was and we do…there are quite a few of us (especially today).  He (I keep using “he” because I still don’t know his name) said he was going to say a prayer for you, Katie and Cooper and then say another for Steve to wish him a Happy Birthday.  He may look you up on Facebook to say “Thank you”.

He said we made his day…but really, he made ours.  

***
We gave a pizza hut gift card to Caitlyn's kindergarten teacher, gave a $10 off coupon to a fellow shopper, and allowed a car to go in front of us in the school carpool line.  Hugs to your sweet family.  Such a blessing and joy to know you.  Thanks for giving us the opportunity to join your family in this celebration. (In addition to Steve's birthday, today would have also been my cousin's birthday - he would have been 30 this year.)


***



I took this oppertunity to do something I had been trying to make time to do for two years. Today I did it for Steve. I became a mentor to a disadvantaged 1st grade child at my daughters school, Lakewood Elementary. I will meet with him every Tuesday starting next week. I look forward to helping this young man out in the weeks and months ahead.
 
***
I attended a memorial service on campus yesterday for a 27-year employee of the UC Santa Barbara Graduate Division, where I work. She died of breast cancer. I never met her because I'm new, but I photographed the service yesterday and created a slide show to share with her friends and colleagues today.


***




We celebrated Steve's Birthday by delivering fresh Baked cookies to both our dogs' Vet  and to our local fire station. It was a lot of fun seeing the smiles of their faces!  


***
Kate and I just gave our mail lady the sheet we printed about Steve's 43rd birthday and the acts of kindness, along with a Chick-fil-A gift card. She was so appreciative.
I have enjoyed reading what others have done today. We are so happy to have been a part of Steve's birthday and making others happy. 





***





I bought 3 cups of Starbucks coffee for security guard at Samsung.
Since they cannot go out during their duty, I thought fresh Starbucks coffee or lemonade will make them smile~

***

I gave my tickets to tonight's Dallas Stars game tonight to a Dad, so he can buy one more and take his two daughters to the game.

Turns out he's a Friend of Steve, too. He also plans to do a good deed. They're multiplying!

Happy birthday, Steve.  


***


I had lunch with Autumn today and then stayed after to teach the GT kids in her class about division and multiplication.  


***
I just wanted to let you know that I have followed your blog for a while now. It is so inspirational to read about Steve and all the wonderful things he has done & continues to do in peoples lives. I was so inspired to participate that I decided I would purchase the persons order behind me today at Dunkin Donuts. I hope that I made her day a little brighter. It looked like it might have been a rainy day at 7:30 as I drove to work but by lunch time the sun was shining so bright! I am sorry I didn't take a picture but I thought that this small act of kindness could go along way with or without a picture. I continue to be inspired by the stories you share!

Thinking of Steve [and of course your whole family!] today,
Love from Long Island, New York


PS-- I even let my first grade students have "Fun Friday" [which doesn't happen too often] in memory of Steve. They had a great time! 

No comments: