Sunday, November 6, 2011

43 acts of kindness (part 16)

I bought a bottle of water for an older gentleman in a wheelchair in the Munich airport. Mr. Donnelly was headed to Los Angeles.

***


Well, I didn't forget about Nov 4 ... but have had no Internet access since 1 week ago - good and bad thing. Finally back from Nepal and wanted to share what I did for Steve's bday .... though I did it a day early just in case.

I donated to a school child in the mountains of Nepal along my trek. While there is still some question/doubt as to where all of the money will go, I know that it will be with someone who needs it far more then myself.

***

My 3yo twins and I made cookies for the local police & firefighters in honor of you, your husband and your family. They were very grateful. 

***

We took snacks to the young girl working RV lot at OU.  It was very cold and windy and she looked bored and cold.  She was so happy and surprised that someone thought of her. 

***


I was so excited to take part in the way that you, Cooper and Katie were honoring the life of Steve. I heard of how people were buying lunch, coffee and breakfast treats for friends, co-workers and total strangers, hoping to get a good idea of my own for my intended act of kindness. I was thinking about doing several different things but not really coming up with the right one for me.
 
I was sitting in the front office at school and I heard over the walkie talkie a call for Maria to unclog a toilet. I thought of the number of times throughout the day that she is called upon to do some undesireable clean-up job and I knew at that moment that she was the one that I wanted to do something for. I thought about lunch but she has to eat at 10:00am! I decided that I wanted to do something that is just for her and something to make her feel good. I decided to get her a gift certificate for a pedicure massage.
 
At the end of the day on Friday while she was putting away the cafeteria chairs I went to her and gave her the gift card, and she looked at me with this stunned look in her eyes and said "but why?" I said "Just because." She gave me a big hug and tears came to both of our eyes. It  was such a tender moment with very few words said but we were both affected.

***

Allowed people with less items than me ahead in line at grocery. Also helped an elderly woman who was unstable on her feet from car to cart after she parked near me. Made me feel good. :-)

***


Decided I would buy lunch for who ever ended up behind me in line. The person in front of me was taking longer, so he let me in front. Little did he know that his act of kindness of letting me go first would earn him a free lunch : )

***

My friend Shelli Hardy also participated in 43 Acts of Kindness in memory of Steve. She donated blood and told me about the blood drive at the college she is attending which I where I donated blood. Shelli bought a Subway gift card and gave it to a student who truly needed it. So many people have been positively affected by these acts of kindness!!! :-)

***

Took donuts to a meeting in Steve's name.

***



Cupcakes for Dylan's employees and coins at the Coke and candy machines at kids' school.
Dylan did a vending machine blitz at his work too.



At the O'Connor High School pep rally, I paid for 3 extra spirit ribbons after I bought 1 for Carys.


No comments: