Friday, November 4, 2011

43 acts of kindness (part 6)


Thank you so much for putting together this wonderful idea in memory of Steve, and giving me the opportunity to do something that truly overwhelmed me with emotion and happiness. 

I may have mentioned to you that I’m a graduate student at UTSW, and the lab I work in is situated on the 6th floor of the Simmons Cancer Center.  I always feel so lucky to work in such an amazing building adorned with beautiful works of art, but often find it hard to reconcile that beauty with the underlying sadness of the atmosphere.  The elevator stops on the patient floors almost every morning on my ride up to my lab, and while I don’t do research on cancer, it’s a gentle reminder that I have a purpose in being here.  I remember you telling me that Steve was a patient here, and that you have a love/hate relationship with the building because of your previous love for the Chihuly yet the reminders of having him here for treatment; I really can't imagine how difficult that is and continue to admire your strength. 

After you posted the details of the project, I immediately got excited by the idea of doing a random act of kindness for the staff in the Simmons Cancer Center.  After some digging around, I found the nurses station for the chemotherapy unit and dropped off some cookies.  I initially spoke with Grace, who immediately remembered Steve and teared up as I told her about your project.  I then met Noor and Ida, who also remembered Steve, and they even let me take a photo of them to document the day.  
***
I made a point to smile more today and greet more people in my path!  And I made some girls happy at Bledsoe with some cookies!!! I also told Steve he has the coolest wife ever!!!!


***
I told my friend Deb about our 43 Acts of Kindness for Steve. She was at lunch with her husband at Bic's Restaurant on Addison today. They treated a table of gentlemen to lunch. They went up to the table afterwards and talked to the men and told them about Steve and your family. It was a blessing to my friend and her husband as well as to the men.


***

I took a co-worker who is going through a hard time to lunch today.

***
We left dollar coins at two different Redbox kiosks in San Antonio.


***
As Mystery Reader for Mrs. Allard's class, I read this book and discussed acts of kindness :)
***
I gave some money today to someone who needed it, thinking about Steve and his smile. 

***
I'm not the girl who picks up donuts for work, or bakes cookies, or brings in candy-unless it's a spread, and even then I have to work at it.  All last month and this week, we've had junk food and candy around our department.  We all want to be healthier, but still keep working to empty that candy bowl.  

Today, I went to my daughter's senior pep-rally, realizing an era is coming to an end, and a little emotional about it.  On my way back, I decided to get a bunch of my favorite apples, honeycrisp, for my team.  And a Greek yogurt for one girl who is on a zero fiber diet, awaiting colon surgery.  I passed them out and sent an email explaining the gift.  

***
I'm at an Irving hospital waiting for my friend James to be released. He doesn't know it yet but we're going on a little road trip so he can visit his mom in Austin. She's 87 & he's been too ill for the last year to make the trip. His doctor said it was OK so we're about to hit the road!

***
I spent an hour today helping a former newspaper colleague who:

1) has a sick Mac
2) is contemplating a buyout offer. I researched openings at Apple for
him and passed them on.

***

I’m helping someone with the resume/cover letter/job interview process, in honor of how Steve helped so many people in his wonderful work.

***
***

I ordered pizza for my team. We are having a DAMM lunch!

***

Brought breakfast to the office (which got devoured before the picture could be taken) as well as a pie for this afternoon.

***
One of my employees called this morning and his car was broken down. I sent one of the other ones (with pay) and a loan for enough money to buy the part to help him get back on the road along with a "Steve sign". Happy Birthday Steve!

***
In Steve's honor, we have been helping a local child and his family during a very difficult time. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I bought flowers today for a lady at our office who took over so many extra responsibilities while I was with my brother-in-law this past year as he also battled brain cancer. She hugged me once and then hugged me again when I told her the story of Steve.
Tyra, thanks for the wonderful idea. Such a blessing to many.

Anonymous said...

I purchased a prescription for the lady behind me today in line at the pharmacy. I also received my blood vials in the mail today. I am being screened to be a kidney donor for a young man. Praying for a match. Kylee made a big effort to talk to people who dont have very many friends at school today. Even she felt compelled to participate. =)

Sharon Kocurek

Anonymous said...

Paid for coffee for the car behind me at Starbucks today and left the card in Steve's memory. What an amazing idea and an amazing way to spread some kindness in these difficult times.