Friday, November 4, 2011

43 acts of kindness (part 5)

We gave a Starbucks gift card to our mailman, who always takes the time out of his day to talk to the kids when we play outside. Happy birthday to Steve. 

***

Today and tomorrow I am helping a friend who is an artist, single mom, and teacher set up for an art show at another friends home. My friend Linda and I will help to unload and set up her show, and we will also have a great time preparing food for the show tomorrow. Since Steve so loved art, I know in my heart how much he would love my act of kindness for his day! He would also love that a single parent mom is being supported by the kindness of others. We love and miss you Steve, Happy Birthday to one sweetheart of a Man!

***

I listened to a client who's going through a tough time & bought her a glass of wine to unwind while she had a minute of down time. Some times you just need to relax. I did tell her about Steve & your family as well. Happy birthday Steve! I think I have a few more acts of kindness left in me:)

***

Coffee on Kyla!

***

Taking my mother in law to the thoracic surgeon to talk about surgery for her lung cancer. Being at Parkland makes me grateful for what I have. Today, I'm helping her, but will hold open doors and help anyone I see at the hospital.

***

***

Julie Cavitt is walking the 3-Day for the cure with this hat on her head:

***
Bought and delivered lunch to our office manager, who is covering the front desk today because our receptionist is out. She tried to pay me, but I handed her the "43" card and told her your family's story -- and the acts of kindness Coop and KT planned to do today. 

***
We went to McDonald's and got hot chocolate for the crossing guard by Amy's school. I parked and went and delivered it. 

I said "You are always smiling and waving at me and my kids." and he said "I do that for everyone." So I said "I know, and that is why we stopped and got you some hot chocolate this morning." He was so surprised and had a big smile. Then I explained about Steve and how his you and the kids wanted to honor him in this way. He said that was so cool. He and his wife really believe in doing nice things for others and it generally comes back to you. The best part was when he said "Now I'll have to do something nice for someone else today."

It was such a great start to the day!

Thank you so much for inviting us to participate in this day! All the acts of kindness in Steve's honor is a great way to remember him.

***


A rather large and nice dreadlock clad African American allowed me to teach him Indian phrases while we waited to be served by my Indian friend and owner of the subway near my office. The owner asked my new friend "cam cho" which means how are you? He answered with the phrase I taught him "me llama" which means "I'm fine." All of laughed at his pronunciation and I accused him of talking about "my mama." I quietly told my other Indian friend at the register that I want to pay for his meal, which was a five dollar foot long. I sat down to eat my lunch and he walked by stumbling over himself wondering what to say. He simply said "all right man." I said have a Damm good day.

Best 5 bucks ever.

***

We bought someone their bread at the store today (since the clerk forgot to ring it up). It seemed a wonderful way to start the day and stuffed 12 boxes full of food for the needy at church today! The day is not over and The Currys will find something else to do I am sure!

***

Purchased the sandwich order for the man behind me at Subway.   He was so thankful and said he would pass along the word to the folks receiving the sandwiches he had ordered.

***

These are headed to my two best friends Melane & Sharon!  I know they will be here for me no matter what life throws!


No comments: