Saturday, November 5, 2011

43 acts of kindness (part 8)

I love this idea!  Tracy at The Digichick posted it and I just wanted to let you know that I purchased a book for my child's classroom teacher at our book fair yesterday.  


***


I baked cookies for the office staff at Evans Elementary, and also some for our wonderful crossing guard.  I had planned this ahead of time, despite a hectic, overscheduled day, and I was determined to follow through.

But then I got an opportunity for an unplanned act of kindness.  By chance, I ran into a mom of one of my son's kindergarten classmates.  She was scheduled to teach an art lesson to the class, but was terrified, never having done anything like this before.  I sat down and showed her some examples of how to present the lesson, but I could see she was still panicked, so instead of eating lunch and continuing with my overwhelmingly long to-do list, I offered to teach the lesson today so she could observe and learn for the next time.  Any other day I would've wished her good luck and gone on my way, but today, for Steve, I took the time that I didn't think I had to spare.



***


This evening, I walked over to my across-the-street neighbor and helped him pull up a tree stump he'd been working on all week. He was so grateful and was clearly touched when I mentioned Steve and your 43 acts of kindness event. I wish I had one of those tags to give him. It was pretty dark when we finished, so I will have to get a photo tomorrow.

It's a wonderful way to honor Steve. Reading all those acts of kindness makes me teary-eyed. We said prayers for you and the kids tonight. 



***


My husband was also diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor, but we are in a different place than your family.

I think of you and the kids frequently.

Today I went to the local French bakery and got treats for all of the secretaries in my school.

This afternoon I took the children of a friend who was just diagnosed with breast cancer (yesterday) out for the evening so she and her husband could have a few hours of peace and quiet.



***


While chaperoning the Frisco High School Band at tonight's football game Joel Quejada helped his wife Regina and I buy FHS scarves to give to the band's amazing percussion instructor and his wife. Mr. and Mrs. Dillard are shown wearing their scarves in the picture. They thought the scarves were very nice to have on a chilly night. 




***


I bought dinner for the person behind me at Chick-fil-a and explained to the cashier and manager why I was doing this. I asked them to give the card to the person with their order.
***
This afternoon, somewhere between Canton and Dallas, I stopped at Sonic for a drink.  As soon as I saw the young lady delivering the drinks I knew this was the person I had been looking for today.  I gave her a little extra tip money and Steve's card.  The expression on her face was priceless and the feeling I was left with was oh-so-good.  




***

Today I attended the TOTA conference to recruit for Tenet.  Things wrapped up at 4:00, so I headed to the front desk of the hotel to pay for parking (there's a sign that says pay before you go to your car in the garage).  I pay, get my receipt & code for the gate to get out of the garage and find my car.  By now there's a long line of cars waiting to exit.  It's been a really long week and I have to admit...I was annoyed. I wait, wait, wait and finally I'm a car away from the gate.  A young lady swipes her ticket...no go. Second, third, fourth try, still nothing.  I could tell she was getting frantic...multiple beeps, some not so kind comments from the peanut gallery,  and she looked scared.  Then...it hit me...43 act of kindness for Steve.  I hopped out of my car and gave her my code to lift the gate.  I didn't have a chance to explain why, but I was able to enjoy the relief on her face and got a HUGE thank you.  Happy Birthday Steve!!!!  
*** 


I brought a bouquet of tulips to the girl who takes my order every Friday night at Carmine's Pizza in Richardson. 


***


My kids and I went together to Kroger armed with the Frisco Family Services Food Pantry wish list and loaded up our cart.  Then we personally delivered them this afternoon.  It was a great way to show them how our community can help anyone in their time of need.




***


We went to redbox and left "Steve's note" taped to the screen with 5 quarters taped to the note and we wrote "enjoy your movie night on us! Happy Friday!"


***
Jakob and I went to Sonic and a nice young woman delivered our order.  We settled up for the drinks and then I handed her a rolled up paper with the story of Steve’s birthday message on it and also rolled up with it was some money.  She took the rolled paper and said thanks.  She returned shortly and said “I just want to thank you as I really needed some help because I have two babies at home that are sick and we needed some pedialyte, this will really help me a lot.  And sorry for your loss.”  After she left Jakob asked if Steve could see us from heaven because if he could he would have seen all of us smiling.  I never knew Steve, but I bet he was smiling.  

No comments: